What is AYSO Extra?
AYSO Extra is a competitive soccer program designed to provide a more challenging level of play for those players who possess the appropriate interest, skills and abilities and to enhance each player’s experience and individual growth through the game of soccer while retaining the spirit, organization, and philosophies of AYSO. Extra teams will be formed by each region in Area 10E (along with teams from other Areas). The Extra teams will play against each other during the Fall soccer season (10 – 14 games) and will have playoffs at the end of the season.
Why is AYSO Extra a better option than club soccer for competitive players?
- Best of Breed Professional Paid Trainers – to help players better develop their technical skills, tactical abilities and fitness.
- Player Development – setting a clear path to help players achieve realistic goals and realize their potential while having fun and learning the game of soccer.
- Small side games – Fewer players on the field provide more touches for all players involved.
- Everyone Plays (¾ play) – no one sits on the bench, players play at ¾ of the game.
- Low cost – less than half the cost of a club program.
- Positive Coaching – certified, experienced and knowledgeable coaches who are positive, instructive and encouraging with the players.
- Well Trained Quality Referees – who are mindful of player safety and who referee for the love of the game, not a paycheck.
When does AYSO Extra Start?
A separate inter-Regional competitive soccer league entering its 4th year in the Fall of 2013. Player tryouts will be held in the Spring of 2013. Depending on your coach the team may participate in Tournaments prior to the start of the season
What is the registration fee?
The registration fee for the 2013 Fall season is $250. The fees are higher than regular AYSO to cover the cost of home and away uniforms, professional trainers, lights, and additional training equipment.
How do players get chosen for the Extra team?
Participation in the EXTRA League will be determined by open tryouts . All players need to wear the proper attire including cleats and shin guards.
Number of players per team?
Roster size and number of players on the field will be the same as the AYSO core program:
- U9/U10 – 7v7, maximum of 10 on the roster
- U11/12 – 9v9, maximum of 12 on the roster
- U13/14 – 11v11, maximum of 15 on the roster
- U15/U16 – 11v11, maximum of 16 on the roster
In which division will your child play?
- U-10 – players born between 8/1/03 and 7/31/05
- U-11 – players born between 8/1/02 and 7/31/03
- U-12 – players born between 8/1/01 and 7/31/02
- U-13 – players born between 8/1/00 and 7/31/01
- U-14 – players born between 8/1/99 and 7/31/00
- U-15 – players born between 8/1/98 and 7/31/99
- U-16 – players born between 8/1/97 and 7/31/98
Will there be professional trainers?
Each team will have access to professional trainers during the season as part of the registration fee. Additional training costs will be handled on a team by team basis.
Will the Extra program utilize the ¾ play rule?
Yes. All players who regularly attend practice and are committed to the team will play at least ¾ of every game. For those players that habitually miss practice or games, the coach has the discretion to limit play to ½ of the game. Commitment to the team demonstrated during the course of the regular season will also be a factor taken into consideration during tryouts the following year.
Who do the teams play?
Teams will play other Extra Teams being formed in our neighboring regions as well as other regions outside of Area E. Games will be played on our home fields as well as other participating regions.
How long is the season?
The AYSO Extra League begins in the Fall of 2013. There will be a regular league season beginning in September, followed by playoffs. After the playoffs, teams are free to attend as many tournaments as they wish. Tournament fees vary and the cost of the tournaments will be the responsibility of each individual team.
Who is coaching?
The volunteer coaches for this program are selected based on their training, experience and other qualifications. Professional Trainers will be provided as part of the registration fee.
Need More Information?
If you are interested in joining the Extra program and want more information please contact the Extra program director, Doug Laabs.